Footpath dining (Ipswich) - Queensland

Service summary

Ipswich City Council regulates footpath dining under their Commercial use of roads - Standing vehicle/stall/itinerant permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Before you can obtain this permit you need to have the following:
  • food business licence
  • public liability insurance
  • liquor licence from Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation, if necessary.



Council determines the length of this approval.


Contact council to determine applicable fees.


To apply for this permit, you will need to complete an application form and submit it to council with the appropriate fee.

Additional information

Plans, along with the application form and relevant fee should be lodged with council. The following information must be taken into consideration when drawing your plans:

  • you will need to submit two (2) copies of your plans (drawn to scale) for approval
  • the plan should include:
    1. the boundaries of the site, the outlines of the building and the use of the adjoining premises;
    2. the area (including dimensions) intended to be used for the dining on the footpath;
    3. any trees, planter boxes, telephone booths, mail boxes, bus seats and shelters, traffic signal boxes, fixed rubbish bins, pillars and posts and other obstructions or footpath furniture or fittings;
    4. the position of tables and chairs and other associated features;
    5. the access and exit points of the building located at or in close proximity to the dining area;
    6. the location of any nearby atm or other facility which is likely to require access or congregation of people.

Other information to be provided with your application:

  • colour photographs of the furniture, accessories and fittings intended to be placed on the footpath and the site frontage of the dining area must be submitted with the application. Brochures of the furniture and fittings may be submitted in place of photographs;
  • evidence of Public Liability Insurance. A public liability insurance policy to a minimum value of $10 million must be taken out with Ipswich City Council as an interested party. A copy of this document should be submitted with your application form and plans.


Administering agency

Ipswich City Council

Contact details

Ipswich City Council

Operating address:
Customer Service Centre
143 Brisbane Street
Mailing address:
PO Box 191


07 3810 6666


07 3810 6731


Ipswich City Council Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.