Tow Truck Licence Holder - Queensland

Service summary

You require this licence to register a business operating tow trucks at the scene of an accident/incident or police seizure within regulated areas.

You do not require it in the following circumstances:

  • for tow trucks operating outside regulated areas
  • towing other than from the scene of an accident/incident or police seizure.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Class 4 tow trucks holding yard exemption:

Class 4 tow truck operators may apply for an exemption from having a holding yard. For this type of specialized operation, the damaged vehicle being towed (e.g. trucks, large buses and combination vehicles) is mainly towed to the premises of the vehicle owner or a specialised repairer.

An exemption can only be granted to a class 4 tow truck licence holder. If a class 4 tow truck licence holder subsequently acquires any other class of licensed tow truck (other than class 4) then the exemption is void.

An application for exemption must be made in writing to the Manager (Compliance) or Regional Director at your nearest Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre outlining the reasons why an exemption is being requested.

If the application is approved, the original approval letter or a copy of the approval letter must be carried in the tow truck and be produced if requested by an authorised officer. An application for renewal of the exemption must be made annually with renewal notice of the tow truck licence.


This licence will be issued for a period of 12 months.



Per tow truck


Replacement of a licence


Towing Authority Book


Per tow truck


CrimTrac fee


You can obtain this licence by completing a "Tow Truck Licence Application (F4644)" and submitting it to a Department of Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre. For locations of Customer Service Centres please ring 13 23 80 or visit the department's website at

You must submit the following documents with the application:

  • vehicle registration and inspection certificates
  • proof of registration/incorporation (of the business name or company).

Your criminal history will also be checked.

Required after applying but before approval is granted:

  • your holding yard will be inspected
  • you must have council approval for use of the premises as a holding yard
  • criminal history check.

The vehicle you will be using must be appropriately registered and equipment, markings and loading must meet requirements.

Your business premises, holding yards and tow trucks must be inspected by a Transport Inspector before your application can be processed. To organise an inspection you should contact the nearest Department of Transport and Main Roads Compliance Office.

You must have the following ready at the time of inspection:

  • the business premises
  • holding yards and tow trucks your proof of ownership or the lease agreement for the business premises and the holding yards
  • your proof of town planning approval from the local authority.

Transfer details

This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional information

If you are a tow truck licence holder and you acquire the title to any of the vehicles you remove or tow, you may need a special licence. Depending on how you dispose of the vehicles, you may be considered a second hand dealer, motor dealer or motor dealer wrecker, and these activities require a licence.

For further information about these licence products or to obtain an application form, please contact the Office of Fair Trading on 13 74 68 or visit

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Main Roads
Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division
Transport Regulation Branch

Act(s) name

Tow Truck Act 1973 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Tow Truck Regulation 2009 (Queensland)

Contact details

Department of Transport and Main Roads
Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division
Transport Regulation Branch

Operating address:
Customer Service Centre


13 23 80


Department of Transport and Main Roads Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.