Mutual recognition of occupational licence or certificate of registration - Queensland

Service summary

To have an occupational licence, which you have obtained in another state or territory of Australia or New Zealand, recognised in Queensland you need to apply for mutual recognition under the Mutual Recognition (Queensland) Act 1992 and the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition (Queensland) Act 2003 for:

  • real estate agent
  • resident letting agent
  • property auctioneer
  • motor dealer
  • field agent
  • real estate salesperson
  • motor salesperson
  • subagent (debt collection)
  • second-hand dealer
  • pawnbroker
  • introduction agent

Applicants for the following licences may also be required to open a trust account:

  • resident letting agent
  • real estate agent
  • motor dealer (if you sell used vehicles on consignment)
  • property auctioneer
  • chattel auctioneer
  • field agent (if you collect debts on behlaf of someone else).

Introduction agents

You should familiarise yourself with Section 34 of the Introduction Agents Act 2001, which outlines restrictions on the operation of introduction agents.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must meet the following requirements when applying under mutual recognition:

  • pay the prescribed fee
  • be the holder of a current licence in the first state (or New Zealand) for the equivalent occupation
  • complete forms in full
  • provide a copy of your interstate or New Zealand licence to the Industry Licensing Unit.
  • provide a certified copy of proof of identity.

Subagents (field agents) and subagents (debt collection) must also provide photographs.


You cannot transfer an occupational licence obtained under Mutual Recognition.


The duration of your licence will vary according to the fee you pay and will be 1 year or 3 years.


You can obtain information on fees from the agency.


You can apply for a mutual recognition occupational licence/registration by completing the appropriate application form and submitting it to a Fair Trading office:

  • Application for mutual recognition of occupation licence for: real estate agent, resident letting agent, property auctioneer, chattel auctioneer, motor dealer, field agent (Form 1: Application for mutual recognition of occupational licence), or
  • Application for mutual recognition of certificate of registration/occupational licence for: real estate salesperson, motor salesperson, sub-agent (debt collection), second hand dealers, pawnbrokers, introduction agents (Form 2: Application for mutual recognition of registration certificate/occupational licence).

You may also be required to submit additional documents with the application.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Attorney-General
Office of Fair Trading
Industry Licensing Unit

Act(s) name

Mutual Recognition (Queensland) Act 1992 (Queensland)

Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition (Queensland) Act 2003 (Queensland)

Contact details

Queensland Government Service Centre
Department of Justice and Attorney-General
Office of Fair Trading
Industry Licensing Unit

Operating address:
Upper Plaza Terrace
33 Charlotte Street
Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Mailing address:
GPO Box 3111
Brisbane, Queensland 4001


07 3405 0985


13 QGOV (13 74 68)


07 3008 5933


Office of Fair Trading Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.