Pool Safety Inspectors Licence - Queensland

Service summary

From 1 December 2010, pool safety certificates are required when selling or leasing a property with a pool. These certificates may only be issued by  a licensed pool safety inspector after they have inspected the pool and deem it to be compliant with the pool safety standard.

Under the Building Act 1975  (Act), any person who performs pool safety inspection function (e.g. issuing a certificate, performing an inspection) must be licensed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) as a pool safety inspector.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms

Regulated pools

includes pools associated with houses, units and unit complexes, motels, hotels, hostels, backpacker accommodation and short term accommodations, caravan parks, mobile van parks.

Eligibility requirements

Individuals applying to the QBCC for a pool safety inspector licence must have a certificate of competency from an eligible course provider. They must also have the required professional indemnity insurance.


This licence cannot be transferred.


This licence remains in effect for one year.



Application fee


Licence fee


Licence replacement fee


Restoration fee


Restoration licence fee


Renewal fee


Renewal licence fee


To obtain the initial pool safety inspector licence you must:

  • submit a completed application for a pool safety inspector licence to the QBCC;
  • hold the required professional indemnity insurance (not required for local, state or commonwealth government employees);
  • evidence of your identity including a passport style photograph;
  • a statutory declaration verifying the information in the application is true and correct. Have a qualification or statement of attainment issued by a training organisation registered with the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver the ASQA approved course number 31005QLD - 'Course in Swimming Pool Safety Inspections'.

Visit the Commonwealth government's database on vocational education and training in Australia and search for an appropriate course provider.

If you are applying to restore and renew your pool safety inspector licence, in addition to the requirements above you must include evidence that you have completed the prescribed continuing professional development in the previous 12 months.

Transfer details

This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional information

Pool safety register:

A state based pool safety register has been set up, as required by the Act. The register contains are record of the following:

  • registered regulated pools in Queensland
  • a list of all licensed pool safety inspectors to assist pool owners to find a pool safety inspector in their local area
  • pool safety certificates issued by pool safety inspectors.

The register is searchable online free of charge.

Pool owners are also required to register their swimming pool on the pool safety register. Failure to register a swimming pool may result in a fine being issued up to $2,356.

Administering agency

Minister for Housing and Public Works

Act(s) name

Building Act 1975 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Building Regulation 2006 (Queensland)

Contact details

Customer Contact Centre
Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Operating address:
299 Montague Road
West End
Queensland 4101
Mailing address:
GPO Box 5099
Queensland 4001


1300 272 272


07 3225 2999


Queensland Building and Construction Commission Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.