Water cartage permit (Mackay) - Queensland

Service summary

You need this permit to carry on a business where you:

  • use a water tanker to distribute water for domestic purposes (e.g. human consumption, food preparation, washing or other domestic activities)
  • obtain water from a source within the council area
  • sell water to a place within the council area
  • take water from the councils supply for commercial purposes.

A person cannot operate the business of domestic water distribution unless the person holds a Food Business Licence and the water tanker/s are approved by council.

Council may grant this permit if satisfied that:

  1. the water you are distributing is of an appropriate quality for domestic purposes
  2. your business complies with other criteria specified by Local Law policies
  3. your depot for storage of vehicles complies with the planning scheme.  

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms


distribution includes the transportation and delivery.


means a person who carries on the business of domestic water distribution.

Domestic purposes

means the purpose of:

human consumption;
food preparation;
other normal domestic activities.

Domestic water distribution

means the distribution of water, by water tanker, for domestic purposes and includes the transportation of water to a distributor.



You should complete a 'Food Business Licence Application' and submit it to council. You must present all water tankers for inspection by an authorised person.

Contact council for further information.

Additional information

Council regulates the drawing and cartage of water to:

  • ensure that water supplied by water tankers for domestic consumption or use is of high quality.
  • protect from contamination both water supplied and the water supply from which this water is taken.

Council may grant permits based on the following conditions:


  • restricts the sources of supply from which you may take water for your business,
  • restricts or prevents using water tankers for any purposes other than domestic water distribution.


  • only distribute water in your business that is fit for human consumption and complies with standards set by the relevant local law policy,
  • take samples of water periodically, analyse the bacteriological and mineral content and provide Council with the results of the analysis,
  • only take water from sources specified in the permit,
  • only supply water for domestic purposes that complies with the World Health Organisation 1995 guidelines and/or the National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines for drinking water quality,
  • only use water tankers for water suitable for domestic purposes,
  • maintain the interior of each water tank in a clean and hygienic condition, free from rust and foreign matter,
  • display the permit number and water tanker approval number the Council issues you on each water tank, with the letters and numbers not less than 75mm in height,
  • display the trading name and telephone number of the water carrier on the tank, with the letters not less than 75mm in height,
  • take reasonable steps to prevent contamination of any source of supply, distribution tank and receptacle into which you transfer water.

Administering agency

Mackay Regional Council

Contact details

Environmental Health Officer
Mackay Regional Council

Operating address:
73 Gordon Street
Mackay, Queensland 4740
Mailing address:
Mackay, Queensland 4740




07 4944 2400


Mackay Regional Council Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.