Environmental authority for intensive animal feedlotting - cattle - Queensland

Service summary

You are required to obtain this Environmental Authority to operate the environmentally relevant activity of  'intensive animal feedlotting - cattle'

The following publications are available from the Department:

  • National Guidelines for Beef Cattle Feedlots
  • The Reference Manual for the Establishment and Operation of Beef Cattle Feedlots in Queensland

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms

Intensive animal feedlotting (cattle)

keeping 50 or more standard cattle units of cattle in a feedlot. "Feedlot" means a confined yard of enclosure that contains watering and feeding facilities where cattle are fed entirely by hand or mechanically and is designed, constructed or used in a way that does not allow cattle in the yard or enclosure to graze.

Eligibility requirements

What are the prerequisites to obtaining this authority?

The Environmental Protection Act requires an entity (e.g an operator) to be registered as a suitable operator to carry out an environmentally relevant activity such as feed lotting. The application for registration as a suitable operator must be made to the Department of Environment and Heritage.  More information on how to apply can be provided by contacting the office below.


The environmental authority can be transferred.

An application to transfer an environmental authority may be made by the holder of that authority. The application must be signed by the existing holder and the proposed holder(s) of the environmental authority. More information on how to apply can be provided by contacting the office below.

The Environmental Protection Act requires that the proposed holder is a registered suitable operator. Department of Environment and Heritage will check the applicants suitability..


An Environmental Authority remains in force unless it is surrendered or cancelled.



Registration Certificate - Annual fee 10001 or more standard cattle units


Registration Certificate - Annual fee 1001 to 10000 standard cattle units


Registration Certificate - Annual fee 150 to 1000 standard cattle units


Environmental authority-new activity - $630 + 30% of annual fee (variation or site-specific application)


Submit an application to the departments Intensive Livestock Environmental Regulation Unit at the address given in the contact list at the end of this summary sheet..

The department may request from you further information that may be required to enable a decision be made on the environmental authority.

Additional information

The Business Queensland website includes a form and fee finder which can be used to determine which environmental authority is applicable, the administering authority, the forms and fees applicable and whether or not a development approval is also required.

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Science, Agriculture, Food and Regional Services
Animal Industries

Act(s) name

Environmental Protection Act 1994 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Environmental Protection Regulation 2008 (Queensland)

Contact details

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Science, Agriculture, Food and Regional Services
Animal Industries

Operating address:
Intensive Livestock Environment Regulation
203 Tor Street
Queensland 4350
Mailing address:
PO Box 102
Queensland 4350


07 4688 1374


07 4688 1192


Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.