Environmental authority for environmentally relevant activities (Redland) - Queensland

Service summary

An environmental authority is required for an activity that meets the definition of a prescribed environmentally relevant activity (ERA) set out in Schedule 2 of the Environmental Protection Regulation 2008 (EP Reg).
The Sustainable Planning Act forms "Application details - IDAS form 1" and "Environmentally Relevant Activities - IDAS form 8" and any other IDAS forms relevant to the development are used for any application for a development approval.  These forms are available on the Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning website at http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/forms-templates/idas-forms-guides-and-checklists-spa.html.

The Business Queensland website has information about obtaining an environmental authority at https://www.business.qld.gov.au/running-business/environment/licences-permits.

You should contact your Council for details of forms to apply for an environmental authority for ERAs devolved to them.

This licence is required to carry out an ERA for which administrative responsibility has been devolved to Councils.

Section 101 of the EP Regulation lists the ERAs and other ERAs carried out within stated thresholds that are re-devolved to local government.  You should refer to both Section 101 and Schedule 2 to determine if local government administers an ERA.


6  - Asphalt manufacturing
12 - Plastic product manufacturing
19 - Metal forming

ERAs with thresholds or conditions:

20 - Metal recovery
38 - Surface coating
49 - Boat maintenance or repair (only to the extent it is carried out at a boat maintenance or repair facility)
61 - Waste incineration and thermal treatment

Sections 103 to 108 of the Environmental Protection Regulation 2008 list the circumstances when these ERAs are not devolved to local council.

An activity is not devolved for management by a local government if:

(a) the activity includes a non-devolved environmentally relevant activity at the same place;
(b) the activity is carried out by a local government or the State; or
(c) the activity is a 'mobile and temporary ERA' and is carried out in more than one local government area.

The information sheet Environmentally relevant activities devolved to local government (EM2101) provides information about the ERAs devolved to local government.  It is available at www.qld.gov.au using the publication number EM2101 as a search term - (http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/licences-permits/business-industry/pdf/era-devolved-local-govt-em2101.pdf).

For further information please contact Council.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


A Level 1 ERA requires an annual renewal; A Level 2 ERA is renewed every 3 yeas.


You will be required to pay an application fee plus an annual fee (if applicable). Contact council for relevant fees. All fees are GST exempt unless otherwise stated.


You can obtain this registration by submitting a completed application form/s together with relevant fees, to council.

Transfer details

Prior to transferring this registration, you, as the holder, must advise the buyer in writing of the requirement to apply for a registration.

You can transfer this registration by completing and submitting to Council the relevant application form/s (both you as the buyer and also the seller to complete).

Administering agency

Redland City Council

Act(s) name

Environmental Protection Act 1994 (Queensland)

Contact details

Redland City Council

Operating address:
Corner Bloomfield & Middle Streets
Cleveland, Queensland, 4163
Mailing address:
Cleveland, Queensland 4163


07 3829 8999


07 3829 8765

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.