Development permit for operational works to construct or raise a waterway barrier - Queensland

Service summary

You require this permit for operational works if your development proposal is involved in construction of a new or raising the height of an existing waterway barrier such as a dam, weir, culvert, causeway, tidal or flood gates, boom litters, sediment curtains, bridge pylons or any other structure that will prevent fish movement, and is not self assessable under Schedule 3, Part 2, Table 4, Item of the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms


means a fish ladder or another structure or device by which fish can pass through, by or over waterway barrier works.


includes a river, creek, stream, watercourse or inlet of the sea.

Waterway barrier works

means a dam, weir or other barriers such as culverts, road crossings, silt curtains, trash racks or causeways across a waterway which will prevent fish movement.

Eligibility requirements

There are no pre requisite for obtaining a development permit for operational works to construct or raise a waterway barrier works.

However, applicants may choose to apply for a fish movement exemption notice from the the Department under the Fisheries Act 1994 before applying for a development permit. Holding a fish movement exemption notice would greatly help the applicant at the development permit application stage.

Applicants have to provide the following at the lodgement of a development approval application:

  • Competed IDAS application (Form One. Part 1 and all other parts relevant to the proposed development must be completed)
  • All fees including assessment fee and, if relevant, Departmental assessment fee
  • If the land on which the proposed development will occur is not owned by the applicant, owners consent must be obtained
  • If the land is in a declared Fish Habitat Area, a resource allocation authority must be obtained from the Department before a development permit application is lodged.

You may also need to consult with the Department of Energy and Water Supply regarding additional applications under the Water Act 2000.


This approval cannot be transferred as the development permit is issued to the land not to the person.


The development permit will be in effect until the approved operational and/or building works are complete.


You can obtain information on fees from the Agency.


SPA IDAS forms Opens in a new browser window


You can obtain the permit by submitting a completed IDAS Application Form 1 (including but not limited to Parts 2 and 27) and IDAS form 27 - Waterway barrier works to a Fisheries Planning and Assessment Office. There are seven Fisheries Planning and Assessment Offices in the State. Applicants must include the necessary documents with their application.

Further information/clarification of the proposal and mitigation options may be explored.

Native title notification may be required.

Additional information

For operational works, there are five levels of fees depending on the complexity of the development. You can access the 'Guide to assessment fees for fisheries development applications' via the website.

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Fisheries Queensland
Impact Assessment and Management

Act(s) name

Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Fisheries Regulation 2008 (Queensland)

Sustainable Planning Regulation 2009 (Queensland)

Contact details

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Fisheries Queensland
Impact Assessment and Management

Operating address:
Freshwater Fish and Habitat Unit
Floor 2, 80 Ann St
Queensland 4000
Mailing address:
GPO Box 46
Queensland 4001


07 3405 6798


07 3224 2805


Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Opens in a new browser window

Customer Service Centre
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries


13 25 23


07 3404 6999


Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Customer Service Centre Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.