Fireworks contractor licence - Queensland

Service summary

A fireworks contractor licence is required for an individual, corporation or partnership to:

  • organise a fireworks display for the display host
  • possess fireworks to supply them to a fireworks operator
  • purchase fireworks to use in a fireworks display organised by the fireworks contractor
  • store and transport limited quantities of fireworks (to supply them to a fireworks operator).

The licence lists the category of fireworks display.

Note: If a fireworks contractor is an individual, they must also be an authorised fireworks operator. If a fireworks contractor is a corporation, the corporation must have a nominated licensed fireworks operator who is a qualified fireworks contractor.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms


a pyrotechnic article containing explosive composition which, upon functioning, will burn or explode, or both, to produce a visual and/or aural effect intended as a form of entertainment.

Firework operator
  • the holder of a fireworks operator licence
  • the person physically on the site for a fireworks display who is responsible for managing all activities associated with the safe handling of fireworks, setting up and managing the display, firing the display and the post-display and emergency procedures.

Eligibility requirements

To qualify as a fireworks contractor, you must:

  • be at least 21 years old
  • have at least 3 years' experience and conducted at least 40 fireworks displays as a fireworks operator for various display types and sizes
  • be competent and have completed an approved course of training as a fireworks contractor
  • have sufficient public liability insurance
  • have a safety and security management system for all fireworks activities to be undertaken.

Might Need

Fireworks operator licence


This licence is effective for a period of 1 year or 3 years from the date of approval.


Refer to Applying for and renewing a fireworks licence in other resources below.

Note: additional security fees will apply for new individual applicants including owners, directors, office bearers or any person having an interest in a corporation


This licence may be applied for by a contractor to cover the use of fireworks only.

You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed application form to the nearest Explosives
regional office.

The required items section of the application form outlines all prerequisite licensing requirements.
A corporation applying for this licence must:

(a) nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation and,
(b) if non-publicly listed company, provide completed security assessment applications in addition to the licence fee and pay the relevant fees for each person having an interest in the company.

The Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant under S15 (8)(c)
of the Explosives Act 1999.

The applicant's work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form.

An inspector will review the proposed manufacture operations, safety management system and security plan to ensure compliance.

The manufacturing activity cannot commence until the licence is issued.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Service Delivery
Explosives Inspectorate

Act(s) name

Explosives Act 1999 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Explosives Regulation 2003 (Queensland)

Contact details

Manager, Explosives Licensing
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Service Delivery
Explosives Inspectorate

Operating address:
Level 16
61 Mary Street
Mailing address:
PO Box 15216
Queensland 4002


07 3199 8023


07 3224 7768


Explosives Inspectorate contacts Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.