Dangerous Goods Vehicle Licence - Queensland

Service summary

This licence is required for all vehicles that are transporting dangerous goods by road in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres or 500 kilograms.

A vehicle licence is not required when the dangerous goods are in an Intermediate Bulk Container (IBC), and the IBC is not packed or unpacked on the vehicle and the total capacity of the IBC is not more than 3000 litres.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The vehicle must be registered in Queensland and have the current Department of Transport and Main Roads inspection requirements for that type of vehicle.


You cannot transfer this licence.


A Dangerous goods vehicle licencee is issued for 1 year.



Vehicles greater than 8 tonnes


Vehicles less than or equal to 8 tonnes


Vehicles greater than 8 tonnes


Vehicles less than or equal to 8 tonnes


You can obtain this licence by completing the approved form 'Dangerous goods vehicle licence applicaton' (F2259), paying the prescribed fee per vehicle, and submitting it together with evidence of your identity to a transport and motoring customer service centre.

Additional information

Persons driving a vehicle transporting dangerous goods by road in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500L/or more than 500kg, must also hold a current 'Dangerous goods driver licence'.

You must complete a 'Dangerous goods vehicle licence application' (F2259) to notify the department whenever changes occur to:

  • the number of vehicles attached to the licence (for example, add or remove vehicles); and/or
  • the registration details of vehicles attached to the licence; and/or
  • your business/postal or residential address details; and/or
  • your personal or business name.

If you sell the business, the licence label/s must be removed from the vehicle/s and destroy the label/s and notify the department of the disposal.  The new proprietor must apply for a new licence. The vehicle must not be used to transport dangerous goods until a new licence is obtained.

You can obtain additional information about transporting dangerous goods in Queensland on the Business Queensland website.

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Main Roads
Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division
Transport Regulation Branch

Act(s) name

Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Dangerous Goods) Regulation 2008 (Queensland)

Contact details

Transport and motoring customer service centres


13 23 80

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.