Permit to Purchase Explosives - South Australia

Service summary

This permit is required to purchase or receive into your possession or control of explosives including marine flares and propellants for use and/or resale. The only exception is fireworks.To possess or use fireworks a pyrotechnician's licence is required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

  • A National Police Clearance certificate is obtainable at the local Police Station. The certificate must have been issued within the last 3 months from the date of a permit application received by SafeWork SA. Only an original or certified copy of the certificate is acceptable.
  • A certificate of incorporation (if applicable).





Additional information

A current National Police Clearance certificate.
In the case of a company, proof of the company name is a legal entity. A certificate of incorporation and a National Police Clearance must accompany the application form for a permit.

Administering agency

Department of the Premier & Cabinet
SafeWork SA

Act(s) name

Explosives Act 1936 (South Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Explosives Regulations 2011 (South Australia)

Contact details

Administration Officer

Operating address:
Level 4, World Park A
33 Richmond Road
Keswick SA 5035
Mailing address:
GPO Box 465
Adelaide SA 5001

Toll Free:






Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.