Limited Licence - Liquor - South Australia

Service summary

Persons not holding a liquor licence who intend to sell or supply liquor at a special event will require a Limited Licence - Liquor.
Current liquor licence holders who wish to operate extended hours for a special event will also need to apply for a Limited Licence - Liquor.
"Sell" includes:
(a) to barter or exchange;
(b) to offer or expose for sale, barter or exchange;
(c) to supply, or offer to supply, in which the supplier derives, or would derive, a direct or indirect pecuniary benefit;
(d) to supply, or offer to supply, gratuitously but with a view to gaining or maintaining cutom, or otherwise with a view to commercial gain.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


From one to 30 days.


Fees vary; contact the agency direct for further information about fees.

EFTPOS accepted, as well as cheque, money order, or cash in person.

Other resources

Additional information

Applications must be lodged at least 14 days before the proposed event.

Council Consents may also be required

Administering agency

Consumer and Business Services

Act(s) name

Liquor Licensing Act 1997 (South Australia)

Contact details

General Enquiries

Office hours 8:00 to 17:30 any business day.

Some direct dial numbers are under the Attorney Generals Department entry in the Adelaide White Pages Telephone Directory (Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner).

Operating address:
91 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Mailing address:
GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Toll Free:




Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.