Permit to Train, Owner-Trainer's Permit and Trainer's Licence - South Australia

Service summary

Persons intending to train thoroughbreds must obtain a Permit to Train, Owner-Trainer's Permit or Trainer's Licence from Thoroughbred Racing SA Ltd (TRSA).

All applicants are required to successfully complete the relevant course prior to the license being considered by the Board of TRSA. These are:
1. Owner Trainer - Certificate IV In Racing; or
2. Permit Trainer - Diploma In Racing.

Courses are available from TAFE SA at the Morphettville Horse Skills Centre.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

All applicants must:
1. Complete Certificate Racing IV (Thoroughbred) Owner Trainer.
2. Attend an interview with TRSA Licensing Stewards where all aspects of the licensing requirements are addressed.
3. Undergo an inspection of his/her stabling arrangements where the applicants' ability to undertake such tasks as bridling and saddling is established.
4. Provide National Police Certicate.

Applicants may be eligible to apply for recognition of any previous experience or training (recognition of prior learning). Applicants should contact the Morphettville Horse Skills Centre on 08 8293 1017 for evaluation and assessment of prior knowledge and experience.


For the year ending 31 July.



Administering agency

Thoroughbred Racing SA Ltd

Contact details


Operating address:
Morphettville Racecourse
79 Morphett Road
Morphettville SA 5043
Mailing address:
GPO Box 2646
Adelaide SA 5001





Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.