Blaster's Licence - South Australia

Service summary

This licence allows the holder to perform blasting activities in quarrying, mining or petroleum exploration (including underground) according to the endorsement on their licence. Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age and have appropriate qualifications and experience. Farmers are exempt from the need to hold this licence if undertaking blasting activities on their farm property.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


3 years.


Fees 2017-2018
Application or renewal $73.00.

Cheque, cash, money order, MasterCard, Visa, Eftpos.

Additional information

Sound knowledge and proof of experience in the use of explosives.

A National Police Clearance Certificate is required to obtain a Blaster's Licence. This certificate can only be obtained from a Police Station & cannot be older than 3 months at the time of applying for the Blaster's Licence.

SafeWork SA will accept a photocopy of the National Police Clearance (no older than 3 months) Certificate only if it has been sighted, signed and endorsed as a genuine copy of the original by an Inspector of Explosives, Justice of the Peace or a Police Officer.

Administering agency

Department of the Premier & Cabinet
SafeWork SA

Act(s) name

Explosives Act 1936 (South Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Explosives Regulations 2011 (South Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Unit, Business Performance Team

Opening Hours: 8.30am to 5.30pm

Operating address:
Level 4, 33 Richmond Road
Keswick SA 5035
Mailing address:
GPO Box 465
Adelaide SA 5001

Toll Free:






Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.