Building Work Contractors Licence - Company - South Australia

Service summary

Companies intending to contract for building work must be licensed as a builder and employ a registered Building Work Supervisor. Please note that ???building work??? includes painting, solar panel installation, air-conditioning installation, plumbing, gas fitting and electrical work

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

A company is entitled to be licensed as a building work contractor if it has not been suspended or disqualified from practising or carrying on a trade, occupation or business in Australia; under official management, in receivership or in the process of being wound up. A company must demonstrate sufficient financial resources and minimum share capital requirements also apply otherwise restrictions may be imposed upon the licence limiting the size of the contracts which may be performed.

In addition, each director of the company must be a fit and proper person and must not have been: suspended or disqualified from practising a trade, occupation or business in Australia; within the last 10 years prior to the company's application for a licence, an undischarged bankrupt or subject to a composition or deed or scheme of arrangement with or for the benefit of creditors - when the company was being wound up or within the period of 12 months preceding the commencement of the winding up.

Where a building work supervisor is being employed, the company must seek the approval of the Commissioner for that building work supervisor to be engaged.

A registered plumbing, gas fitting or electrical worker can be approved as a building work supervisor for work covered by their registration without needing separate registration as a building work supervisor.




2017/18 Fees
$201 application fee
Pre-Grant/Annual licence fees:
$949 Light commercial, industrial and residential building work
$489 specified (trade) work
Application for building work supervisor if lodged at same time - $120.

Online, credit card, money order, cheques, selected Service SA outlets for cash payments.

Additional information

Licence applications can be completed online at

Administering agency

Consumer and Business Services
Licensing and Registrations

Act(s) name

Building Work Contractors Act 1995 (South Australia)

Contact details

Occupational Licensing and Registration (Builders)

Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (except public holidays)

Operating address:
Customer Service Centre
Ground Floor 91-97 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Mailing address:
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001





Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.