Licence to Sell under the Petroleum Products Regulations Act 1995 - South Australia

Service summary

This licence is required for keeping, selling and making prescribed retail sales of petroleum products (motor spirit, diesel, LPGas). This licence is administered by Revenue SA, Workplace Services and the Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Board.
Where an applicant intends to MAKE PRESCRIBED RETAIL SALES of motor spirit, an endorsement of annual licence to make prescribed retail sales must be sought. Where petroleum products are intended for retail sale to the general public, approvals are generally subject to a public hearing to determine the need for another petrol outlet, the suitability of the premises and likely impact on the surroundings.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


2 years.


Various (See current information sheet).

visa, mastercard, bankcard, american express, diners, cash, cheque, money order and eftpos.

Administering agency

Department of the Premier & Cabinet
SafeWork SA

Act(s) name

Petroleum Products Regulation Act 1995 (South Australia)

Contact details

Snr Administration Officer

Operating address:
Level 4, 33 Richmond Road
Keswick SA 5035
Mailing address:
GPO Box 465
Adelaide SA 5001

Toll Free:






Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.