Special Plumbing Permit - Tasmania

Service summary

New Tasmanian building laws have come into effect from the 1 January 2017. These laws will update requirements for building and plumbing work. This record will be updated to reflect the new building laws in early January.

You will require this permit if you intend to carry out any special plumbing work. Special plumbing work includes:

  • Installing a fixture or appliance that is located below ground level and discharges waste into a disposal system;
  • Installing a sanitary or food waste disposal unit (e.g. grease traps in a restaurant);
  • Installing drainage from a polluted area or a swimming pool;
  • Installing an inlet for a sewerage installation at a level lower than 150 millimetres above the declared flood level for the land on which the sewerage installation is located;
  • Installing an on-site waste water management system;
  • Installing a testable backflow prevention device;
  • Connecting an unregisterable relocatable building to a water supply or sewerage services;
  • Installing a trade waste drainage system;
  • Any plumbing work that involves plumbing products that are not certified or that are considered unique;
  • Installing a greywater diversion device;
  • Installing a recycled water system; or
  • Installing a wet well for sewage of stormwater transfer.

Please note a Certificate of Certifiable Work (Plumbing) may be required from TasWater before a permit can be issued by the Council.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit your application must:

  • Be in an approved form;
  • Be accompanied by any specified documents; and
  • Be accompanied by the required fees.

If you are a builder carrying out work to the value of $12,000 or more, you must provide Council (and the owner if applicable) with a copy of an Indemnity Insurance Certificate to cover the work. If you are acting as an agent, you must have written authorisation from the owner before applying.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the Permit.



Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.

Other resources

Approval time

7 days.

Administering agency

Kingborough Council

Act(s) name

Building Act 2000 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Enquiries Officer, Building and Plumbing
Kingborough Council

Operating address:
15 Channel Highway
Tas 7050
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 1
Tas 7050


03 6211 8200


03 6211 8211

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.