Permit to Move / Drove Livestock - Tasmania

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to drive or move livestock along a highway, council land or within a recreational facility. This includes moving livestock from one area to another. This permit is also required if you intend to use any part of a highway as a holding yard for livestock.

According to the Road Rules 2009:

  • Livestock includes but is not limited to, horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats and deer;
  • The moving of livestock can only be undertaken during daylight hours (the period extending from 30 minutes after sunrise to 30 minutes before sunset);
  • Livestock must not be unattended on a road;
  • Livestock are not permitted on roads within the National Land Transport Network unless a permit has been issued by Tasmania Police;
  • Stock cannot be led on a road at night except in the case of an emergency, or to lead the stock to or from a dairy; and
  • A person leading livestock at night must provide warning to other road users by means of a flashing or rotating amber light.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

This permit is only needed if you drive livestock along a highway more than once per month.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Burnie City Council

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1993 (Tasmania)

Local law(s) name

Highways By-Law 3 2013

Contact details

Enquiries Officer, By-Laws Unit
Burnie City Council

Operating address:
80 Wilson Street
Burnie, Tasmania 7320
Mailing address:
PO BOX 973
Burnie, Tasmania 7320


03 6430 5700


03 6431 3896


Burnie City Council Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.