You will require this approval if you intend to operate any of the following:
- Shooting gallery;
- Rifle club;
- Pistol shooting club;
- Gun range; or
- Society whose members collect firearms.
Applicants for this approval must be able to demonstrate that:
- The situation, construction, suitability and equipment of the gallery is safe and present no hazards to users of the gallery, the general public or any other property; and
- Any firearm used in connection with the gallery is safe and appropriate for that purpose.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this approval, you must:
- Produce your firearms licence and identification totalling 100 points with your application;
- Include address details of the locations involved;
- Hold appropriate current professional indemnity insurance; and
- Pay any required fees.
For a pistol or shooting club you must provide the following information:
- Type of club (either a pistol or rifle club);
- Club name and address;
- A copy of the club constitution and rules;
- Details of the categories of firearm to be used;
- The premises where the club carries on its activities; and
- Your position within the club.
For a shooting gallery the following information is required:
- Name of the shooting gallery;
- The reason for the shooting gallery; and
- The categories of firearms used at the gallery.
The shooting gallery must also pass inspection as to its situation, construction, suitability and equipment including the firearms used, which must be safe and appropriate for the purpose of the gallery.
For a range you must provide:
- The type of range;
- The name of the range;
- The categories of firearms to be used at the range; and
- The range location and address.
All ranges must be inspected prior to approval. You must sign a declaration and pay an application fee for each approval.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
It is a condition of this approval that you are familiar and willing to
comply with all relevant and current state and commonwealth legislation.
This form is to be lodged with the Commissioner of Police at any Service Tasmania outlet.
Department of Police, Fire and Emergency Management
Firearms Act 1996 (Tasmania)
Firearms Regulations 2016 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon