You will require this registration if you are the owner of a property and intend to personally manage any building works on a Class 1a building. A Class 1a building is either a single dwelling which is a detached house, or one or more attached dwellings which are separated by fire resistant walls.
An owner builder may carry out or supervise the following types of building work:
- New building work, including a new dwelling;
- Renovations or alterations;
- Extensions and additions;
- Removing or altering load bearing walls;
- Work that may involve a change of use of the premises (e.g. converting a shop into a residence, converting a garage into habitable space such as a bedroom, etc.);
- Building garages, carports, and sheds;
- Constructing swimming pools and pool fences;
- Building a deck;
- Constructing certain other structures and or making improvements (e.g. building retaining walls or fences over a certain height); and
- Demolition work.
Please note that, depending on the nature of your proposed activities, other approvals may also be required. Also, applications to be registered as an owner builder must be made to the Agency by a building surveyor, on behalf of the person intending to be registered as an owner builder.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this registration you must be willing and able to comply with the following:
- You must be a natural person (i.e. not a company);
- You must be the owner or joint owner of the relevant property;
- You must be intending to carry out or manage building work in relation to that property;
- The building work must require a building permit;
- The type of building must be a Class 1a building;
- You must have the relevant insurance;
- You have relevant previous building experience; and
- You have completed an approved owner builder training course.
Due to the extensive and particular requirements involved in this application process, please consult with the Contact Officer for more information before making your application.
As directed by the Authority.
Owner builder permit fee.
Department of Justice
Consumer Building and Occupational Services
Occupational Licensing Act 2005 (Tasmania)
Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Regulations 2016 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon