Short Term Unregistered Vehicle Permit - Tasmania

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to drive an unregistered vehicle for a short time period. This permit is not a registration and the vehicle must be roadworthy. Permits will only be issued for the minimum number of days within a 28 day period required to complete the task or event.

Situations where this approval may be required include:

  • Moving an unregistered vehicle from one location to another;
  • Moving an unregistered vehicle to a place of repair; or
  • Participation in approved events.

Please note, if you are running segway commercial tours you will be required to apply for this permit for each Segway you own. Segway's do not comply with Australian Design Rules and therefore cannot be registered in the usual manner.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Administering agency

Department of State Growth
Transport, Regulatory and Customer Services

Act(s) name

Vehicle and Traffic Act 1999 (Tasmania)

Regulation(s) name

Vehicle and Traffic (Driver Licensing and Vehicle Registration) Regulations 2010 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Enquiries, Registration and Licensing
Department of State Growth
Transport, Regulatory and Customer Services

Mailing address:
Hobart, Tasmania 7001


03 6233 8011


1300 135 513

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.