Motor Boat Drivers Licence - Tasmania

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to drive recreational vessels (other than a hire and drive vessel) that have engines of four horsepower or more. Recreational vessels include jet skis (PWC - Personal Water Craft).

Please note you will need a Certificate of Competency to operate a vessel commercially.

To obtain this licence, applicants must complete a BoatSafe Practical Tuition course. Please check with the Agency for a full list of Accredited Providers.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • undertake a practical training course or log 20 hours of supervised experience
  • pass a theory test
  • pay the relevant fees.

Note that a motor boat licence log book or course completion certificate must be produced prior to sitting the licence test.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the licence.


Expires on 30 June.



Examination for licence to drive a motor boat.


Issue of endorsement for PWC on licence.



You may sit your theory test, and then lodge your application at a Service Tasmania shop. Please submit it with the relevant fees, identification and log book with 20 hours of supervised experience, or a Course Completion Certificate.

Administering agency

Marine and Safety Tasmania

Act(s) name

Marine and Safety Authority Act 1997 (Tasmania)

Regulation(s) name

Marine and Safety (Motor Boats and Licences) By-Laws 2013 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Marine and Safety Tasmania

Operating address:
5 Franklin Wharf
Tasmania 7000
Mailing address:
Hobart, Tasmania 7001


03 6235 8888


1300 135 513


03 6233 5662

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.