Liquor Licence - Special - Tasmania

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to provide alcohol to the public, but the provision of alcohol is not considered to be the principal purpose of your business. This licence will authorise the sale of alcohol:

  • between specific times
  • on specific premises.

Examples of businesses that may provide alcohol through a special licence are:

  • restaurant licences provide for the sale and consumption of alcohol only with meals
  • theatre licences provide for the sale of alcohol to theatre goers only
  • conveyance licences provide for the sale of alcohol to passengers only
  • wholesaler licences provide for the sale of alcohol to other liquor licence holders
  • accommodation licences provide for the sale of alcohol to guests
  • tourist Attraction licences provides for the sale of alcohol to persons attending the attraction and / or paying an entrance fee.

If you intend to allow patrons to bring their own alcohol (BYO), please consult your local Council for compliance issues.

You will also need this approval if you intend to start a business that sells alcohol online via a website.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or above
  • be a fit and proper person
  • ensure your associates are considered fit and proper people
  • undertake Responsible Service of Alcohol training
  • be able to exercise effective control over the service, and any consumption, of liquor on the premises for which the licence is sought
  • give public notice of the application in a form approved by the Commissioner
  • pay the relevant fees.

Please note that:

  • you may be required to supply further information (e.g. plans or specifications of any relevant premises or information about any associates) with your application
  • your application may be forwarded to the Commissioner of Police regarding you, or your associates', status as fit and proper people.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.




Licences expire on 31 December.



Authorising the sale of local wine or Tasmanian wine at a winery or cellar door premises.

Application$155.00Authorising the sale of local wine or Tasmanian wine from a vineyard only.
Application$620.00Any other special licence.

Wineries, cellar door premises or vineyards.

Transfer$310.00Any other special licence.

Grant fee.



Before proceeding with an application for a liquor licence, it is recommended that you contact the Agency for more information.

If the Agency is satisfied that the applicant is qualified to hold a liquor licence, the application will be referred to the Licensing Board for final determination. An applicant will usually be required to attend the Board's hearing regarding their application.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission

Act(s) name

Liquor Licensing Act 1990 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Enquiries, Liquor and Gaming Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission

Operating address:
80 Elizabeth Street
Tasmania 7000
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1374
Hobart, Tasmania 7001


03 6166 4040


03 6173 0218

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.