You may require this licence if you intend to operate a restricted hire vehicle service. Restricted vehicles must be a currently registered small passenger vehicle (a vehicle with a capacity of 9 seats or less including the driver) and have Class 16 MAIB premium. There are two kinds of restricted hire vehicle (RHV) services:
- General RHV services, which are pre-booked general hire services that may only be provided by prescribed types of vehicles; and
- Specific RHV services, which may be provided by any type of vehicle, but which are limited to prescribed occasions and events.
The following types of vehicles may be approved by the Transport Commission for use as a restricted hire vehicle:
- Motor vehicles that are unique, classic or customised and more than 30 years old;
- Street-rods, modified for safe road use and either built prior to 1949, or in the replica of a vehicle built prior to 1949;
- Veteran or vintage motor vehicles;
- Motorcycles or tricycles;
- Small passenger vehicles in areas that the Commission determines are not serviced by taxis;
- Four wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles used for providing transport to or from or within a national park; or
- Wheelchair-accessible vehicles that comply with the requirements of the Restricted Hire Vehicle Regulations.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence, you must:
- Be accredited to operate a passenger transport service;
- Have no outstanding fees due to the Commission;
- Be the operator of the Restricted Hire Vehicle service that will be provided under the authority of this licence;
- Provide proof of your accreditation as a Restricted Hire Vehicle Operator;
- Hold appropriate current professional indemnity insurance;
- Complete the relevant application forms; and
- Pay the prescribed fee.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
As indicated on the licence.
Replacement licence number-plate: $27.54; replacement label: $15.30; replacement licence: $15.30.
To apply as an accredited operator, you must:
- Complete the application forms relevant to your operation;
- Provide any associated documents as requested;
- Provide personal identification; and
- Pay the fees.
Department of State Growth
Transport, Regulatory and Customer Services
Taxi and Hire Vehicle Industries Act 2008 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon