Grant of a Lease or Licence for Crown Land - Tasmania

Service summary

You will be required to hold a lease or licence for Crown land if you intend to use it for business purposes. Leasing of Crown land implies that it will be occupied, while licensing of Crown land implies conducting a certain activity.

A lease can be granted for any purpose that the Agency sees fit. Generally leases are issued where longer-term commercial activities are proposed, for example, marinas, community halls, caravan parks and sporting facilities.

Licences are agreements that authorise the use or occupation of Crown Land for a specified purpose, for example:

  • Shared access over reserved roads;
  • Apiary;
  • Grazing;
  • Private slipways and jetties;
  • Removal of natural materials (including marine plants); and
  • To conduct business activities such as trading, hiring or offering services.

Licences do not confer exclusive possession and are often issued for shared use purposes. To obtain a licence to conduct mining activities on Crown land, you must also obtain the mining rights to that land.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

All applications to use Crown land are assessed on their individual merits. The eligibility criteria for each lease or licence will vary according to the purpose of the application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Leases can be for a period of up to 99 years. However, leases for rural purposes can only be up to 21 years. The duration of a licence will be determined during the application process. A temporary licence can be granted for a period of 12 months.



Fees are listed on the application form.



The application form and associated fees can be submitted at any Service Tasmania Shop or posted to the responsible agency.

Approval time

180 days from the day which your application is received.

Administering agency

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
Parks and Wildlife Service

Act(s) name

Crown Lands Act 1976 (Tasmania)

Regulation(s) name

Crown Land Regulations 2011 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Enquiries, Crown Land Services
Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
Parks and Wildlife Service

Operating address:
Level 8, Lands Building
134 Macquarie Street Hobart
Tasmania 7000
Mailing address:
Hobart, Tasmania 7001


03 6233 6413

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.