Building Work Permit - Tasmania

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to undertake high risk building work, which includes but is not limited to the following activities:

  • erecting, re-erecting, constructing, altering, repairing, underpinning, adding to, demolishing or removing a building
  • any excavating or filling connected to the above activities
  • any other prescribed work.

All building work requiring a permit must be:

  • designed by a designer
  • performed by a licensed builder who is licensed to perform the permit building work
  • inspected by a qualified building surveyor as required under the Act.

Your application for a building permit must be accompanied by a certificate of likely compliance which has been issued by the building surveyor whom you intend to engage in respect of the proposed building permit work. The granting of a certificate of likely compliance specifies that your proposed building work will require a permit and is likely to comply with the Act and the National Construction Code.

Please note that:

  • as part of the permit approval, you may be required to submit management plans that describe how you intend to deal with things like waste, flooding, termite risks, trees or vegetation
  • a building permit has commencement and completion time limits that will apply depending on the nature of the building work.

If you are undertaking any building works in a bush-fire prone area you may be required to:

  • ensure certain building performance standards are met
  • prepare and submit a bushfire hazard management plan or alternatively a certificate issued by an accredited bushfire hazard assessor stating that there is an insufficient increase in risk from bushfire to warrant any specific bushfire protection measures.

Once you commence building work, there are a number of mandatory inspection stages where a qualified building surveyor must be notified of the work completed, such as:

  • covering in the foundations
  • pouring structural concrete
  • cladding or building in the structural framework
  • completing the building work.

Please note that, depending on the exact nature of your proposed activities, there are a range of approvals that are required before you can:

  • change or extend the allocated use of a building or piece of land
  • conduct any building, construction or demolition activities on a building or piece of land.

Some of these approvals must be received from the Agency, while others are provided to you by a qualified Building Surveyor to be submitted to the Agency. The following approvals are listed in the order that they may be required:

  • before you can start any building or development work you may need to submit any, or all, of the following approvals: a Planning Permit, a Certificate of Likely Compliance, a Plumbing Permit and a Building Permit
  • if you intend to supervise the building work being undertaken on your property you will require an Owner Builder Permit
  • if you have partially or substantially undertaken building work without having received the required authorisation, then you can gain retroactive compliance through Certificate/Permit of Substantial Compliance
  • if you intend to install a fuel burning appliance (e.g. wood heater) you will require a Heating Appliance Installation Notification
  • before you can occupy a building or structure you will require an Occupancy Permit or a Temporary Occupancy Permit
  • the final steps in the building and development process is ensuring that you have gained your Standard of Work Certificate (Permit Building Work) and / or Standard of Work Certificate (Permit Building Work)
  • if you intend to use your premises for commercial purposes (i.e. for any purpose other than as a residence only) you are required to have an up to date maintenance schedule and records of maintenance tasks available for inspection by an authorised officer or the Tasmanian Fire Service.

Please consult with your local council or building surveyor for further details and assistance.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit your application must:

  • Be in an approved form;
  • Be accompanied by any specified documents;
  • Show details of adequate public liability and workers compensation insurance; and
  • Be accompanied by the required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified.



Please consult the Council or a Private Building Surveyor for information on fees to be submitted with your application as fees vary depending on the nature and scope of the building work.

Administering agency

Derwent Valley Council

Act(s) name

Building Act 2016 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Enquiries Officer, Building Services
Derwent Valley Council

Operating address:
Circle Street
New Norfolk
TAS 7140
Mailing address:
PO BOX 595
New Norfolk, Tasmania 7140


03 6261 8500


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.