Approval of Underground Disposal - Victoria

Service summary

You will require the approval of the managing water corporation if you intend to dispose of material underground by means of a bore.

This applies to all bores, wells, excavations or any artificially constructed underground cavity used for drainage or collection of groundwater.

This approval is required for the disposal of any type of material. For example, farmers may need this approval for the disposal of livestock corpses.

You may also require a licence to operate works before using the bore.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval, you must:

  • Apply in the form and manner approved by the Minister;
  • Accompany the form with prescribed information; and
  • Pay any application fee.

Please consult the responsible agency for further information.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.



Application for Approval of Underground Disposal - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002


13 61 86


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.