You will require this registration if you intend to operate as a Building Surveyor.
Building Surveyors make sure that construction projects meet building regulations. They assess design documentation for compliance, give directions and issue building and occupancy permits, notices and orders. Building Surveyors inspect buildings during construction to check that the building is being constructed in accordance with the approved plans and according to regulations and standards.
There are two classes of Building Surveyor registration:
- Unlimited: a Building Surveyor (unlimited) has an unrestricted scope of work.
- Limited: a Building Surveyor (limited) has a restricted scope of work and is able to certify buildings up to three storeys and with a maximum floor area of 2 000 square metres.
You must register with the VBA eToolbox to access the required forms. Please consult the responsible agency for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To obtain a certificate of registration as a Building Surveyor you must:
- have the specified educational qualifications in the particular class plus the specified period of practical experience, or the equivalent total in work experience
- complete the application form and support the application with details of your training, professional memberships, business operations and in some categories, samples of work
- satisfy the agency that you are of good character and fit to work as a building surveyor (the Agency will take into account matters such as your criminal record, and whether you have previously been insolvent)
- hold the relevant qualifications
- have appropriate insurance (required insurance for building surveyors is determined by the Agency)
- provide a signed authorisation allowing the Agency to conduct a National Police Certificate check
- lodge the application form and supporting copy documentation, including photographic ID, with the agency together with the prescribed fee.
You will also require one of the following:
- Unlimited: Degree in building surveying and three years practical experience.
- Limited: Advanced Diploma in building surveying and two years experience.
The Agency may require you to undergo an assessment by a board member, industry expert or workplace assessor prior to your registration being approved. The assessment will cover your knowledge and skill in areas relevant to the practice of a building surveyor.
Ongoing registration is subject to satisfaction of specified requirements including industry training and standards compliance, as determined by the agency.
Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.
Building Surveyor Registration Application - Please consult the responsible agency for more information.
Victorian Building Authority
Building Act 1993 (Victoria)
Building Regulations 2006 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon