Certificate of Registration - Construction Industry Long Service Leave - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this registration if you employ workers from within the construction industry. All employers, principal contractors, subcontractors, workers and apprentices in the construction industry must be registered. Government, semi-government authorities and their workers are excepted.

'Construction industry' means the Principal Construction Industry and the Allied Construction Industry, and includes Building Trades Work, Electrical Trades Work and Metal Trades Work.

Registration enables construction workers to carry their long service leave from job to job. After ten years, regardless of the number of employers worked for, the construction worker is entitled to eight and half weeks long service leave.

Trade workers in commercial, industrial and some domestic construction work are covered, including those employed on big commercial projects and on small domestic projects such as home building and extensions, and both union and non-unionised work.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration, you must:

  • apply using the prescribed form
  • provide any required details of financial background
  • provide any required information or documentation
  • pay the prescribed fees.

This registration excludes workers involved in:

  • the carrying our of any work on ships
  • the maintenance of or repairs to lifts or escalators
  • the carrying out of maintenance or repairs of a routine or minor nature by Workers for an employer who is not engaged substantially in the construction industries.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

There are no operational requirements for employees. However employers, every three months, must advise the board how many days each employee has worked and pay a contribution to the board depending on the amount of days worked.





Employer Registration Information - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency


Act(s) name

Construction Industry Long Service Leave Act 1997 (Victoria)

Contact details

General Enquiries

Operating address:
478 Albert Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 4368
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 264 683


03 9664 7677


03 9663 7088

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.