Scientific Research Permit - Wildlife - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to capture, collect or interfere with any wildlife for the purposes of scientific research. This includes fauna surveys, live-capture and release, bird or bat banding, marking, radio tracking, taking of tissue samples, retaining wildlife for education, collection of dead specimens (bones, skin, feathers, teeth, etc), or any other handling of wildlife.

Authorisation is also required to conduct scientific research in areas managed under the provisions of national park legislation.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The applicant must:

  • have a genuine scientific research project
  • obtain Animal Ethics Committee approval (if required)
  • have relevant qualifications or experience in the procedures proposed.

In addition to this permit, a forests research permit may be required for any research in State Forests.

Authorisation and project approval must be obtained from the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Schemes (ABBBS) prior to an application for a Scientific Permit involving the banding of birds and/or bats.

Ongoing requirements

If your research involves animals, you must comply with the Code of Practice for the Welfare of Wildlife During Rehabilitation.


Usually up to 12 months.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Please attach the following information with your application.

General Permits:

  • A full description of the project including methods, localities, and species;
  • A copy of the detailed project proposal as submitted to the AEC (if appropriate);
  • A copy of the signed AEC approval;
  • Evidence of relevant experience for each researcher; and
  • Evidence of ABBBS approval if bird or bat banding is involved.

School Permits:

  • A full description of the project, including methods, localities, species and justification for the project.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Customer Service Officer
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals


13 61 86

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.