Petroleum Production Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to produce and explore for petroleum from a licensed area. The holder of an exploration permit or a retention lease can apply for a production licence within the permit or lease area.

The Minister can also invite tender applications for a production licence over an area, which is not part of any exploration permit or retention lease, when a reservoir is already known to exist.

An environmental plan must be in force before any activity can be carried out. Furthermore, operations must stop immediately if a new or increased environmental risk is identified.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Show, with adequate support, that the site is commercial; or
  • Tender for an advertised known resources;
  • Provide details of relevant technical qualifications, technical advice and financial resources available;
  • Provide all required information and documentation, including operation plans, environmental management plans and production development plans, to the relevant authority; and
  • Pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this licence that you submit the required regular reports to the administering agency, comply with all directives regarding requirements prior to testing and operation of sites, and submit ongoing operational plans as required.


Licence remains in force for life of the field or until surrendered or cancelled.



Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.



Application for a Petroleum Production Licence - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.



Make an application to the Minister when tender advertised or when petroleum is found. Once successful, complete further approvals and applications.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Energy and Earth Resources

Act(s) name

Petroleum Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Petroleum Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Energy and Earth Resources

Operating address:
Level 15
1 Spring Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Mailing address:
Earth Resources Information Centre
GPO BOX 2392
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


13 61 86

Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.