General Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you operate a business and you intend to provide alcohol to your customers. This applies to pubs, hotels and holiday resorts, as well as other businesses that supply alcohol to customers. A general licence authorises you to:

  • supply liquor to customers on your premises during ordinary trading hours for consumption on and off the premises
  • supply liquor at any time to a resident, or guest of a resident, of the licensed premises
  • supply liquor to guests.

Liquor must not be supplied on ANZAC day between 5am and 12noon.

The following types of businesses are exempt from holding this licence, providing that certain conditions are complied with:

  • bed and breakfast businesses
  • florists
  • giftmakers
  • hairdressers
  • butchers
  • hospitals
  • residential care services
  • retirement villages
  • cruise ships.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old, If you are applying as an individual
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence or BYO permit under the Act
  • consent to a national police check
  • complete the relevant forms
  • provide any additional information required by the agency.

Please note that the agency may refuse to grant a licence if:

  • it would detract from the amenity of the area in which your premises are located
  • it would encourage the misuse or abuse of alcohol
  • you, or the directors of your organisation do not have sufficient knowledge of liquor licensing law
  • you, or your organisation, are not suitable to hold a licence.

Please consult the Agency for further information and advice.


Ongoing requirements

Ongoing requirements include:

  • compliance with all relevant provisions of the applicable planning scheme
  • if the licence is held by a corporation or other organisation, all directors of the organisation must be approved by the Agency
  • the supply of alcohol for consumption off the licensed premises must not be the whole of your ordinary business of supplying alcohol.

Venues that host sexually explicit entertainment are subject to additional requirements. You must notify the agency in writing within 21 days of starting to provide sexually explicit entertainment on your premises.


12 months or from date granted until end of that calendar year.


31 December each year.



Fees for 2017-18.


Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Fees for 2017-18.


Fees for 2017-18.



Please submit your completed application together with all specified accompanying documentation referred to in the application kit directly with the Agency. Once an application is received, and relevant checks and inquiries completed, a decision will be made by the Director of Liquor Licensing to either grant or refuse the application.

In most cases the Director will impose conditions upon the licence. The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual circumstances.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Operating address:
49 Elizabeth Street
Victoria 3121
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1988
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 182 457


03 9651 3777


Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.