Licence to Use Blasting Explosives - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to deal with blasting explosives. This licence allows the holder to either:

  • purchase and use blasting explosives
  • store and transport limited quantities of blasting explosives
  • make an explosive mixture (ANFO) up to a specified quantity depending on the endorsements.

Blasting explosives can be used in quarrying, drilling, trenching, sub-soiling, rock breaking, stump removal, log splitting, other mining and agricultural applications, and for the purpose of creating special or theatrical effects.

Your licence will be endorsed for the use of certain types of explosives for specified purposes. Most licences are endorsed for general blasting operations but there are also several other specific endorsements including open cut mines and quarries and underground mines. Licences can also be endorsed to specify the methods of shot firing.

Persons employed for the preparation of charges or loading charges into a blast hole do not need to hold this licence, providing they are under the direct supervision of a licensed person, and do not fire any charge.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old if applying for a licence as an individual
  • if applying on behalf of a company or other organisation, provide the details of a person over 18 who will be responsible for the licence
  • submit an application form and all required documents
  • demonstrate adequate knowledge of safety in the use of blasting explosives
  • specify the type of blasting and the method of shot firing requested for the licence
  • complete the approved training course on the use of explosives and demonstrate suitable practical experience
  • pay the prescribed fees.

You will not be required to demonstrate suitable practical experience to the satisfaction of the agency if the blasting explosives are for general use only and you have not previously held a licence to use blasting explosives for general use.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

Ongoing requirements include:

  • ensuring that your equipment complies with relevant industry standards
  • having a blast management plan prepared in accordance with relevant industry standards
  • complying with total fire ban restrictions
  • taking reasonable precautions to minimise the effects of ground vibration and air blast overpressure
  • taking precautions at blasting sites to ensure no one enters the blasting site until fumes and toxic gases created by the explosion are at safe levels.


Up to 5 years.



Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.

Other resources



Please ensure you include all the required documentation with your application, as detailed on the application documents.

Approval time

Within 30 days.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Operating address:
222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9641 1555


1800 136 089

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.