Extractive Industry Work Authority - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this authority if you intend to operate an extractive industry. An extractive industry means the extraction of stone from land for sale, commercial use, or use of the stone in construction, building, road or manufacturing works. This includes the treatment of stone or manufacture of bricks, tiles, pottery or cement products on or adjacent to the land from which the stone is extracted. Stone includes:

  • sandstone, freestone or other building stone
  • basalt, granite limestone or rock
  • quartz
  • slate or gravel
  • clay
  • peat
  • sand, earth or soil.

Authority is not required for the extraction of stone from farm land for purposes of constructing a dam or other farm works. This authority also does not apply to large scale extractive industries that involve a total surface area exceeding five hectares and deeper than five metres.

If your work authority applies to Crown land, you will be required to pay royalties for materials extracted. Please note that the consent of the responsible agency is required to search for stone on crown land.

This authority extends to the sea bed and its subsoil within the territorial limits of Victorian water.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this authority you must:

  • enter into a rehabilitation bond
  • comply with any relevant planning scheme, including obtaining a planning permit if required
  • obtain any other necessary consents or approvals
  • if the application relates to Crown land, obtain the consent of the Agency responsible for the land
  • have an approved work plan in place (if required).

If your extractive industry has an area greater 5 hectares and a depth of less than 5 metres, or will require blasting or clearing of native vegetation, you must lodge a work plan with the Agency. The work plan must include:

  • a rehabilitation plan for the land covered by the application
  • a community engagement plan that complies with applicable regulations and guidelines
  • any other information prescribed by the regulations.

Ongoing requirements

Your authority may be subject to a number of conditions about matters such as:

  • rehabilitation of the land
  • protection of the environment and amenity of the area
  • protection of groundwater
  • public safety
  • payment of fees and royalties.


Consent remains in force for a period of 2 years unless otherwise cancelled or suspended.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Please submit your application and all relevant attachments with the relevant Authority.

Approval time

Within 60 days.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Energy and Earth Resources

Act(s) name

Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 (Victoria)

Underseas Mineral Resources Act 1963 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Energy and Earth Resources

Operating address:
Level 15
1 Spring Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Mailing address:
Earth Resources Information Centre
GPO BOX 2392
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


13 61 86


http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/ Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.