Wildlife Demonstrator Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to demonstrate wildlife to the public in travelling displays, or for the purpose of promoting an understanding of the ecology and conservation of wildlife at any location within Victoria. You will also require this licence if you intend to use wildlife in commercial films.

The holder of this licence must maintain a bound book which records the date, time and venue of all demonstrations conducted. An employee of the licence holder must have a copy of the licence when undertaking prescribed activities.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old (or provide the signed consent of a parent or guardian)
  • if you are applying on behalf of a company or other organisation, nominate a person who will be responsible for managing your premises
  • have a suitable premise to house the wildlife, and be willing for these premises to be inspected prior to being issued a licence
  • obtain planning approval from the local council (if required)
  • provide details of any findings of guilt for offences under the Wildlife Act or Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act or other relevant legislation
  • provide any information required by the Agency
  • pay the prescribed fees.

If you intend to include any Pest (non-indigenous) Animals, you will require a separate Pest Animal (Animal Exhibition) Permit.


Ongoing requirements

All licence holders are required to comply with the following licence conditions:

  • maintaining a bound book which records the date, time and venue of all demonstrations held
  • employees of the licence holder must carry a copy of the licence when undertaking activities under the licence
  • the wildlife must be kept at the premises specified in the licence
  • the approval of the agency must be obtained before allowing the wildlife to be used in a commercial film
  • give at least 5 demonstrations to the public each 6 months
  • display wildlife so risks of escape, risks to health and welfare, and injury risks are minimised
  • wildlife must be kept for more than 6 months before being resold
  • all employees are under the direct supervision of the licence holder when wildlife is being demonstrated
  • dangerous or venomous wildlife is handled only by the licence holder
  • compliance with applicable animal welfare codes of practice.

Throughout the year you must maintain accurate and up to date records to assist in monitoring wildlife possession and trade. There are 5 main record keeping requirements:

  • informing the Agency of changes in your personal details, or details of the nominated person responsible
  • informing the Agency of any changes to the employees who work under your licence
  • maintaining accurate records of wildlife transactions in your Record Book
  • informing the Agency if your wildlife has escaped or been stolen
  • submitting annual Return Forms detailing wildlife in your possession and any transactions in the past 12 months.


Your licence may be issued for a period of either three months (a short-term licence), or twelve months.


30 June.



Twelve months. Fees for 2016-17.

Application$129.90Three months. Fees for 2016-17.



Please lodge your application form, a copy of your National Police Check, a copy of your Management Plan, and any other associated documents directly with the Agency. Do not attach payment, as you will be invoiced for the fee if your application is successful.

If you are applying for a short-term licence, a full itinerary of display locations is required with the application.



All Commercial Wildlife Licences expire on 30 June each year. Renewal of a Commercial Wildlife Licence is conditional upon submission of a 'Return for Wildlife', which must be received by The Wildlife and Game Licence Service by April 14.

Licence holders who meet this requirement will receive a renewal notice approximately 4-6 weeks before their licence expires on 30 June.

Approval time

Six to eight weeks

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Wildlife and Game Licensing
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO Box 500
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002


13 61 86


03 9637 8475

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.