Lodgement of a Retirement Village Notification - Victoria

Service summary

You will be required to lodge this notification if you intend to operate a retirement village.

What defines a retirement village:

  • An area where most residents are 55 years or over or are retired from full-time employment (or are spouses/partners of such people). Residents are provided with accommodation and services, other than the services provided in a residential care or aged care facility.
  • At least one of the residents, as a contractual condition of entering the retirement village, paid an ingoing contribution that was not rent. It does not matter who made that payment or whether it was a lump sum or by instalments.

When land is proposed to be used as a retirement village, the owner must lodge a notice with the Registrar of Titles prior to entering into any contracts with residents.

Immediately on the lodgement of a retirement village notice with the Registrar of Titles, you will need to lodge a retirement village notification with the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Ongoing requirements

You will need to notify Consumer Affairs Victoria within 14 days if any change occurs to the information you submitted to CAV in the retirement village notification.



You will need to lodge a notice with the Registrar of Titles. You will also need to immediately lodge a retirement village notification with Consumer Affairs Victoria before you enter into any dealings with prospective residents.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation
Consumer Affairs Victoria

Act(s) name

Retirement Villages Act 1986 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Retirement Villages (Records and Notices) Regulations 2015 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Justice and Regulation
Consumer Affairs Victoria


03 8684 0735


1300 558 181


03 8684 6199


Consumer Affairs Victoria Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.