Wildlife Processor Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to produce products from native wildlife, such as possums, kangaroos, wallabies, crocodiles and emu. A wildlife processor licence authorises you to possessing, keep, buy, sell, process and dispose of dead wildlife of certain species for the purpose of providing wildlife products for sale.

A complete list of the wildlife covered by this licence is available directly from the Agency.

This licence does not allow you to prepare, mount or restore whole specimens, or parts of specimens of dead wildlife in a manner which could be regarded as taxidermy, or rent, hire or use any wildlife for promotional purposes. The licence holder must ensure that all wildlife has been bred in captivity or taken according to State or Commonwealth law.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old (or provide the signed consent of your parent or guardian)
  • if you are applying on behalf of a corporation of other business entity, nominate a person who will be responsible for the licence
  • provide details of any offences relating to wildlife or animal cruelty of which you have been convicted
  • provide a copy of a National Police Check issued within the past 2 years
  • submit the relevant application form
  • pay any required fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

All Commercial Wildlife Licences expire on 30 June each year. Renewal of a Commercial Wildlife Licence is conditional upon submission of a Return for Wildlife, which must be received by The Wildlife and Game Licence Service by April 14.

Licence holders who meet this requirement will receive a renewal notice approximately 4-6 weeks before their licence expires on 30 June.

Throughout the year you must maintain accurate and up to date records to assist in monitoring wildlife possession and trade. There are 5 main record keeping requirements:

  • informing the Agency of changes in your personal details, or details of the nominated person responsible
  • informing the Agency of any changes to the employees who work under your licence
  • maintaining accurate records of wildlife transactions in your Record Book
  • informing the Agency if your wildlife has escaped or been stolen
  • submitting annual Return Forms detailing wildlife in your possession and any transactions in the past 12 months.


As specified on the licence.


30 June each year.



Fees for 2016-17.



Please lodge your application directly with the Agency. Do not attach payment as you will be invoiced for the fee if your application is approved. You will need to attach to your application form a copy of your National Police Check and copy of your Management Plan.

Approval time

Six to eight weeks

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Wildlife and Game Licensing
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002


13 61 86


03 9637 8475

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.