Fire Services Property Levy - Victoria

Service summary

The Fire Services Property Levy is an annual charge levied on Victorian properties. Every property owner is liable to pay the levy, either through their council rates or through a separate notice. The levy cost varies, as it is dependant on the property type and any form of associated capital. The levy applies to all land except for:

  • state owned land
  • commonwealth land
  • land leased to an individual or registered agency for the purpose of public housing
  • land that comes within an exempt land use classification.

Each local council is appointed as the collection agency for this levy within their municipal district. The local council will provide property owners with an assessment notice informing them of the levy amount that applies to their property. The levy may be paid in a lump sum, or up to four instalments. Concession card holders may be entitled to discounts.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.


Commencing on the 1st July each year.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
State Revenue Office

Act(s) name

Fire Services Property Levy Act 2012 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Treasury and Finance
State Revenue Office

Operating address:
Level 2, 121 Exhibition Street
Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1641
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


13 21 61

Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.