Agricultural Chemical User Permit (ACUP) - Victoria

Service summary

You may require this permit if you intend to transport or handle agricultural produce. This permit authorises the holder to purchase and use 'restricted use' chemicals.

You do not require this permit if you already have a Commercial Operator Licence, a Pilot Chemical Rating Licence, a Pest Control Licence, or have completed an appropriate course and operate under a quality assurance program that completes audits at least once every two years.

An ACUP is required to use agricultural chemical products that:

  • are restricted use chemicals such as Schedule 7 Poisons (Dangerous Poisons) or those that contain atrazine, metham sodium or ester formulations of MCPA, 2,4-D, 2,4-DB or triclopyr
  • contain 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate)
  • contain gaseous methyl bromide, chloropicrin or phosphine for fumigation
  • contain pindone concentrate for the preparation of poison baits.

An ACUP is also required for use in the post-harvest treatment of crops, and to purchase agricultural chemical products classified as restricted supply chemicals by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA), including 1080 pest animal bait products, endosulfan and mevinphos.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Exemptions may apply if a person is applying these chemicals under:

  • A commercial operator licence;
  • A pilot chemical rating licence;
  • An accredited quality assurance program that is independently audited at regular intervals of less than 2 years; or
  • A pest control operator licence.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • submit an application form
  • provide any information that may be required
  • possess the required training, experience and qualifications
  • not have been convicted of any offences under the specified legislation
  • pay any required fees.

Individuals using any of these chemicals must hold a valid ACUP or be under the direct supervision (defined as being within sight and sound) of an ACUP holder. First time applicants must complete an accredited course in agricultural chemical use before applying for an ACUP. Different training is required to use different chemical products.

People under the age of 18 can be issued a conditional ACUP, which does not allow the supply or use of Schedule 7 poisons.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

ACUP holders are required to keep specified records of all agricultural chemical products used within 48 hours of using the chemical product, and to keep these records for a minimum of two years.


10 years.



Fees for 2016-17.



Please lodge your application form, fee, and all associated documents directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Act(s) name

Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Regulations 2007 (Victoria)

Contact details

Project Officer Licensing
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Mailing address:
PO Box 2500


13 61 86


03 5430 4505

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.