Water Works Licences - Victoria

Service summary

You will require one of these licences if you intend to construct, alter, operate, remove or decommission any works on a waterway or groundwater bore.

Works include works to deviate a waterway or private dam, and covers all domestic and stock dams that are built on waterways. This approval is not required for farm dams that are not on a waterway.

New or continuing works on a bore that alter or replace a groundwater bore greater than three metres in depth will require:

  • Works Licence (Bore Construction); or
  • Works Licence (Bore Decommission).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Provide a map of the proposed works;
  • Provide a construction plan of the proposed works;
  • Provide an operation and maintenance plan for the proposed works;
  • Provide any other figures or information required by the Authorities; and
  • Pay the prescribed fees.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this licence that you comply with the following standard conditions:

  • Extraction share;
  • Pumping rate;
  • Metering;
  • Sitting and construction;
  • Operation and maintenance;
  • Alteration;
  • Removal and decommissioning;
  • Preventing pollution; and
  • Using waterways and wetlands to store or convey water.


1 - 5 years.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.



Application for Water Works Licences - Please contact the responsible agency/council for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002


13 61 86


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.