You will require this approval if you intend to work as a manager of a brothel. A brothel must at all times during its opening hours be personally supervised by the licensee or an approved manager.
An approved manager must also be placed in effective control of the business if a licensee is absent for more than 7 days (if the licensee is absent for more than 30 days, the licensee must apply to the Agency to appoint a nominated licensee or approved manager to be in effective control).
An approved brothel manager can work for multiple sex work service providers, but must notify the Agency whenever he or she starts or ceases employment in a brothel business.
An approved manager must carry an identity card issued by the Agency when working at the brothel.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this approval you must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be of good repute with regard to character, honesty and integrity;
- Not have been found guilty or convicted of an indictable offence in the preceding 5 years (or have individual associate or body corporate, or a director or secretary which have been convicted);
- Not have had a prostitution service provider's licence cancelled within the preceding five years;
- Not be insolvent under administration; and
- Not be a represented person within the meaning of guardianship legislation.
You are required to provide all information regarding changes to your circumstances within 10 business days to the Agency. You will also need to comply with any other conditions or obligations outlined by the Agency.
Automatic cancellation occurs for reasons, including where you:
- Are found guilty of a drug or other serious criminal offence;
- Become insolvent and don't get permission to continue as a brothel manager; or
- Fail to renew your approval (approvals are valid for three years).
Various legislative requirements exist concerning alarm buttons, lighting and safe sex illustrations. Please consult the agency to ensure your business complies with current regulations.
A brothel manager approval is valid for three years from the day it is approved.
A renewal application must be made at least 3 months before the expiry of the approval but not earlier than 6 months before that expiry.
Fees for 2016-17.
|Renewal||$474.50||Fees for 2016-17.
Permission to manage a brothel while insolvent. Fees for 2016-17.
Please lodge your application, fee, and any associated documents directly with the Agency. You will need to attach:
- Two recent colour passport-sized photos of yourself with your name printed on the reverse;
- 100 points of identification documents;
- A copy of your birth certificate;
- A signed Consent and Statutory Declaration; and
- Any other relevant documents outlined on the checklist attached to the application form.
You will then need to complete a written assessment of your knowledge of the legislation relevant to the operation of a brothel business.
The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual applications.
Business Licensing Authority
Sex Work Act 1994 (Victoria)
Sex Work Regulations 2016 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon