Busking or Street Entertaining Permit - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to busk or perform street theatre or other forms of entertainment on a road or in a public place. Busking includes (but is not limited to):

  • playing a musical instrument
  • pavement art
  • singing
  • conjuring
  • juggling
  • mime
  • mimicry
  • dancing
  • puppetry
  • performance art
  • recitation
  • other theatrical or visual activities which attract, or are conducted to attract a donation (and not a set fee).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

General Area Busking Permit applications require the following:

  • Completed and signed application form lodged at front desk Melbourne Town Hall;
  • Photo identification presented to front desk Melbourne Town Hall;
  • Buskers who are under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian at the safety and amenity review and while busking. A parent or adult guardian must show photo ID and provide written consent at the time of application; and
  • Attendance at safety and amenity review within 14 days of application.

Bourke Street Mall Busking Permits are available to buskers who have held a general area busking permit for six consecutive months without incident, and be assessed by Level 2 Review Criteria at a Safety, Amenity and Performance Review. Bourke Street Mall busking sites are limited and only applicable to professional buskers who are available to perform full time.

Applications for Pavement Art Permits require Examples of artwork are to be provided at the time of application involving photographs, website links or photocopies displaying intended street artwork style and materials. Attendance is required at safety and amenity review within 14 days of application to have a photograph taken for permit inclusion.

Circle Act Permits apply to to professional buskers who are experienced performers only. Applicants will need to provide a current Certificate of Currency to retain on file. Applicants must pass a safety review where safety and crowd management techniques will be assessed, and must be available to attend meetings for circle act site allocations.

Ongoing requirements

If your busking performance incorporates the use of any dangerous goods you will need to provide public liability insurance to the value of $10 million.


12 months. Temporary permits are three months.



For all other permits, please consult the responsible council for specific information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Busking. All buskers in a group must have their own individual busking permit. Fees for 2016-17.

Application$10.00Busking. All buskers in a group must have their own individual busking permit. Fees for 2016-17.

Buskers wishing to sell CDs, DVDs or original artworks created while they are busking. Only one selling fee per group selling the same CD or DVD. Fees for 2016-17.


Busking. Fees for 2016-17.

Approval time

At least 7 days.

Administering agency

City of Melbourne

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

Activities Local Law 2009

Contact details

Customer Service
City of Melbourne

Operating address:
90 - 120 Swanston Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1603
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9658 9658


City of Melbourne Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.