Wildlife Displayer Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this type of licence if you intend to posses, keep, breed, buy, sell, dispose of or display wildlife in permanent or fixed facilities. These facilities must have a clear conservation theme and provide information on the ecology of the wildlife displayed.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To display non-indigenous animals, you must first obtain a separate Pest Animal Permit.

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be a natural person (this licence is not issued to businesses);
  • be aged 18 years or over
  • submit an application form to the appropriate body
  • have a suitable premise to house the wildlife, and be willing for these premises to be inspected prior to being issued a licence
  • have approved planning permission and management plan
  • have a clean criminal record, and have had a National Police Check issued in the past two years
  • be a fit and proper person and be of good character
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

You must comply with all requirements of the Codes of Practice related to your activities.

Throughout the year you must maintain accurate and up to date records to assist in monitoring wildlife possession and trade.

You will need to obtain the Agency's written approval prior to construction of any new enclosures, or modifications of existing enclosures, and to open the display facility to the public for six hours per day for at least 50 days in a six month period, and maintain a log book with details of when the premises is open to the public..

You will also be required to ensure that the entire perimeter is fenced so as to prevent the escape of any wildlife or the unauthorised entry of persons.

You will need to ensure that the welfare of the animals being displayed is not compromised and the display has a clear conservation and educational theme.


One year or as otherwise as indicated on the licence.


30 June.



Fees for 2016-17.



Please lodge your application form, a copy of your National Police Check, a copy of your Management Plan, and any other associated documents directly with the Agency. Do not attach payment, as you will be invoiced for the fee if your application is approved following the inspection of your premises.



All Commercial Wildlife Licences expire on 30 June each year. Renewal of a Commercial Wildlife Licence is conditional upon submission of a 'Return for Wildlife', which must be received by The Wildlife and Game Licence Service by April 14.

Licence holders who meet this requirement will receive a renewal notice approximately 4-6 weeks before their licence expires on 30 June.

Approval time

Six to eight weeks.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Wildlife and Game Licensing
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO Box 500
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002


13 61 86


03 9637 8475

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.