Wine and Beer Producer's Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you produce beer, wine, cider, or brandy and you intend to sell alcohol on your premises.

A wine and beer producers licence authorises you to:

  • supply your own alcoholic products to other licence holders
  • supply your own alcoholic products at your premises for take away sale
  • supply liquor for consumption on your premises
  • deliver your own packaged products to customers
  • sell your own alcoholic products from an additional retail premises.

Examples of businesses that will require this licence include wineries and boutique breweries. This licence may also be appropriate for large winemakers with cellar door, mail order, internet or wholesale sales services.

Please note that to sell your product at farmers markets, festivals and other promotional events you will need to apply for a promotional event authorisation. This is a special endorsement that applies to your licence and allows you to attend as many promotional events as you wish, subject to certain restrictions.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be a suitable person to carry on the business
  • have adequate knowledge of liquor licensing law
  • be at least 18 years old, if you are applying as an individual
  • not be currently disqualified from holding a liquor licence or BYO Permit
  • assume the financial risk of the production
  • if you will be selling beer, brew your own beer
  • if you are producing wine, cider or brandy - use fruit you have grown or fruit grown in Australia.

Producers who do not meet the above criteria should consider applying for a Renewable Limited Licence.


Ongoing requirements

Once granted any variation, relocation, transfer or surrender of the licence must be approved and/or by the Director of Liquor Licensing.

Ongoing requirements include:

  • compliance with any conditions imposed on your licence by the Agency
  • providing free drinking water to your patrons
  • compliance with the applicable planning scheme
  • if the licence is held by a corporation or other organisation, ensuring that all new directors are approved by the Agency.

If you have authorisation to supply your products at promotional events you must keep records of all promotional events at which you have supplied your products.

You are required to keep a record of sales and purchases of liquor and keep each record for a period of 5 years.

Please contact the Agency for further information and advice.


12 months or from date granted until end of that calendar year.


31 December each year.



Fees for 2017-18.


Promotional event authorisation. Fees for 2017-18.


Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Fees for 2017-18.


Fees for 2017-18.



You must make an application to the Director of Liquor Licensing by completing all requirements and forms contained in the application kit and providing all specified documentation and information to satisfy the Director that you are a suitable person to carry on business under the licence.

Please provide any additional information requested by the Director and pay the prescribed fees.



Please submit your application together with all specified accompanying documentation referred to in the application kit directly with the Agency. Once an application is received, and relevant checks and inquiries completed, a decision will be made by the Director of Liquor Licensing to either grant or refuse the application.

In most cases the Director will impose conditions upon the licence. The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual circumstances.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Operating address:
49 Elizabeth Street
Victoria 3121
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1988
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 182 457


03 9651 3777


Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.