You will require this authority if you intend to undertake research or commercial activities involving low-THC cannabis relating to non-therapeutic use.
Low-THC cannabis means cannabis, the leaves and flowering heads of which do not contain more than 0.1 per cent of tetrahydrocannabinol.
Authorisation is required to:
- Possess, process, sell or supply cannabis seed which has been harvested from low-THC cannabis;
- Cultivate and possess cannabis from seed which has been harvested from low-THC cannabis; or
- Possess, process, sell or supply cannabis which is substantially free of leaves and flowering heads and does not contain tetrahydrocannabinol in excess of 0.1 percent.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this authority, you must:
- Satisfy the agency that you are a fit and proper person to hold an authorisation;
- Provide evidence of the commercial or research activities you will undertake (including evidence that the research will be conducted by a person with appropriate scientific training using appropriate methodology);
- Not have been found guilty of a serious offence in the past 10 years (this also applies to your associates); and
- Ensure that your location, facilities and proposed security arrangements will be suitable for the activities you will undertake.
The agency will carry out a full investigation into your application, and may refer a copy of the application to Victoria Police.
When deciding whether to approve your application, the agency will take into account the following:
- The character of you and your business associates;
- Whether your business has a satisfactory ownership, trust or corporate structure;
- Your financial background; and
- The suitability of all people who will be involved in the administration, management or ownership of your business.
Authorisation is subject to a number of condition relating to matters including:
- the premises or site at which the activities are carried out
- the source of seed for sowing
- maintenance of satisfactory security and surveillance measures
- record keeping and reporting
- inspection arrangements.
Fees for 2016-17.
Fees for 2016-17.
Application for Authority to Cultivate and Process Low-THC Cannabis - Please contact the responsible agency/council for application forms and registration details.
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 (Victoria)
Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances (Industrial Hemp) Regulations 2008 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon