Horse Racing Industry Occupational Licences and Registrations - Victoria

Service summary

You will be required to be licensed if you intend to work in the thoroughbred horse racing industry as a jockey, rider's agent, trainer or farrier. You will be required to be registered if you intend to be a stable employee.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for licensing or registration you must:

  • have completed the required training and/or qualifications (required for a trainer, jockey and farrier)
  • pay the required fees
  • complete and submit the required forms
  • submit any required documentation.


As specified on the licence or registration.



Fees will vary depending on the type of licence or registration you are applying for, or the class of licence you are applying for. Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Administering agency

Racing Victoria

Act(s) name

Racing Act 1958 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Racing Victoria

Operating address:
400 Epsom Road
Flemington, Victoria 3031


03 9258 4258


1300 139 401


03 9258 4326

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.