Hazardous Area Authority - Victoria

Service summary

You will this authority if you want approval to drive a vehicle with thirteen or more seats (including the driver) in a hazardous area. Hazardous areas tend to be in Victorian Alpine regions during snow season. The following areas have been declared as hazardous:

  • Falls Creek
  • Lake Mountain
  • Licola Area
  • Mt Baw Baw
  • Mt Buffalo
  • Mt Buller
  • Mt Donna Buang
  • Mt Hotham
  • Mt Saint Gwinear
  • Mt Stirling
  • Mt Tamboritha
  • Mt Torbreck.

This authority does not include vehicles that move on caterpillar tracks, which are designed specifically for travelling over snow.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Issued for a six year period.



There are no fees for the issue of a Hazardous Area Authority.



Application for Hazardous Area Authority - Please consult the responsible agency for information on forms to be submitted.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Act(s) name

Road Safety Act 1986 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Operating address:
PO BOX 1644
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Operating address:
60 Denmark Street
Victoria 3101


13 11 71


03 8391 3216


http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.