Permit for Sports or Personal Training on Public Land or Council Facilities - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to provide instruction or coaching for sporting, recreational or training activities at council sporting facilities. These facilities include swimming pools or council owned land.

Instruction or coaching may include, but is not limited to, any of the following activities:

  • swimming
  • team sports
  • personal training
  • physical fitness
  • martial arts
  • circuit training
  • any other similar activity.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, personal trainers must:

  • Hold a current workplace level 2 first aid certificate
  • Hold a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $10 million
  • Hold a current professional indemnity insurance policy
  • Be registered with Kinect Australia, Fitness Australia or another recognised peak body association.

Each location may have specific requirements and the activity that you are intending to conduct may have restrictions. Please consult the responsible council for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

There are three categories:

Category A: Regular Commercial User. Trainers providing three or more sessions per week;

Category B: Regular Commerical User. Trainers providing less than three sessions per week; and

Category C: Casual Commercial User. Trainers providing training sessions on a once off basis.

Business permits will allow a business to have multiple trainers taking group fitness sessions as long as they comply with the permit conditions. If you wish to conduct training for more than six hours per day with multiple trainers, additional permits will be required.

Each permit gives an entitlement of six hours training per day over the three venues nominated on the application form. Businesses will be required to submit documentation for each trainer that will be conducting sessions. Trainers are limited to six hours of training (excluding casual permit holders) per day over the three venues nominated on the application.

Two trainers maximum will be allowed to train in any one park over the same time period. Training is permitted between 6.00am and 8.00pm throughout the week. Boot camps are permitted at pre-determined sites throughout the council; groups that exceed the maximum of fifteen will be allocated to specific sites and this needs to be agreed upon between the approving council representative and the trainer.

Signs are permitted providing the trainer has received approval for an advertising permit from the local laws department. You should not attach any equipment to trees or park property. You may not peg anything into the ground or place, drag or tumble heavy objects on lawns.

Amplifiers and sounds systems are not allowed.


Category A: seasonal or annual. Categories B or C: seasonal (Summer: 1 October to 31 March; Winter: 1 April to 30 September).



Personal training business permit per trainer. Fees for 2016-17.


Category A - three or more sessions per week. Fees for 2016-17.


Category A - three or more sessions per week (six months). Fees for 2016-17.


Category B - two or less sessions per week. Fees for 2016-17.


Category C (per session). Fees for 2016-17.


Crown Land annually plus a fee of $2.30 per person training on Crown Land. Fees for 2016-17.

Application$289.00Personal training licence - crown land use. Fees for 2016-17.

Approval time

Please allow five weeks prior to commencement for approval.

Administering agency

Moonee Valley City Council

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

General Purposes Local Law 2008

Contact details

Leisure and Open Space Planning
Moonee Valley City Council

Operating address:
9 Kellaway Avenue
Moonee Ponds, Victoria 3039
Mailing address:
PO BOX 126
Moonee Ponds, Victoria 3039


03 9243 8888


03 9377 2100


Moonee Valley City Council Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.