WorkSafe Victoria Healthcare Assessments - Service Provider Registration - Victoria

Service summary

As a healthcare professional registered with WorkSafe Victoria, you are approved to provide effective treatment and advice to help injured workers manage their injury or illness and safely return to work.

Injured workers seeking treatment for a work-related injury or illness are able to choose their own healthcare professional; however only healthcare professionals registered with WorkSafe can receive payment for services.

A WorkSafe healthcare provider number will be allocated to you as a healthcare professional according to specific criteria (including qualifications) so you may be entitled to receive compensation for your service. There are two types of healthcare services that WorkSafe can pay for: Primary Contact Services and Referred Services.

Primary contact services are healthcare services that an injured worker can use without a referral from a medical practitioner, and include chiropractic, dental, medical, osteopathy, optometry, physiotherapy and podiatry.

Referred services are healthcare services that require a medical practitioner's referral, such as acupuncture, attendant care, dietetics, exercise physiology, hearing services, household help, loss and grief counselling, naturopathy, nursing, occupational therapy, pharmacy, psychology, remedial exercise and massage, social work, and speech pathology.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

A provider of reasonable medical and like services to WorkSafe claimants must satisfy the relevant qualification requirements in their appropriate discipline. To become a registered Health Care Assessment Service Provider of services to injured workers, health care providers need to complete an application form relevant to the health care service they provide.

A copy of your professional indemnity insurance and any relevant proof of capability documents must also be included with your application (registered medical practitioners and registered physiotherapists are exempt). Please review the attached documents and the Agency's website for further details relevant to your application.

Ongoing requirements

You must abide by all healthcare industry codes and standards of practice. WorkSafe may also have specific policies on the provision of healthcare equipment and specific payment criteria related to your discipline.


Ongoing, subject to assessment.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Application for Registration to Provide Services to Workers - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Accident Compensation Act 1985 (Victoria)

Contact details

WorkSafe Advisory Service
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Operating address:
222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9641 1444


1800 136 089


03 9641 1222

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.