Licence or Lease for Agricultural Purposes - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to use land under a licence or leasing arrangement for agricultural purposes. Leasing must be consistent with the public purpose designation over the land and be in the public interest.

A licence or lease may be granted over:

  • unreserved Crown land
  • reserved Crown land that is not vested in trustees or a municipal council and does not have a management committee
  • unused roads
  • water frontages.

The licensing or leasing of Crown land must also preserve the environmental, historic, recreation, tourism, natural resource, social and culturally significant values of the land.

Generally there are strict conditions placed on the applicant, such as provisions for public access. These conditions are usually outlined within the licence or lease agreement.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Apply using the prescribed form;
  • Provide any documentation or information as required by the Authority; and
  • Pay the prescribed fee.

Ongoing requirements

Ongoing conditions may apply including lease renewal requirements.


The term of a lease must not exceed 35 years. A licence for water frontage land must not exceed 35 years, but a licence for any other land must not exceed 99 years.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Application for Licence or Lease for Agricultural Purposes - Please contact the responsible agency/council for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Forestry and Land Use

Act(s) name

Land Act 1958 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Land Regulations 2006 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Forestry and Land Use

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002

Mailing address:
PO Box 500
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002


13 61 86


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.